Saturday, August 13, 2016

Backdrops Part 3: Background Landscape

Painting the background, other than sky, requires some research to match the appearance of the location that one is modeling. If it is not a reasonably close-by location, some internet tools can be very helpful. Three that I have found useful are Google Earth, Wikipedia, and on-line real estate photos. Because I was taking a trip to the Pacific Northwest to finish up some final aspects of our move to Pennsylvania, I was able to fit in some in-person research. Traveling parallel to the route of the 3rd Subdivision between Anacortes and Burlington and driving around Ferndale, gave me the opportunity to take some snapshot-quality photos as reference.
Mountains, trees, and field west of Ferndale


The first step in actually painting the backdrop was to pencil in some lines for background mountains, hills, and trees. Another step before actually painting was to mask off the bench work, cork, or any of the DCC components with newspaper and blue tape. One of the techniques I learned from one of my modular railroad friends in Seattle was to spray white haze between layers of hills to add depth to the scene. I wanted to protect the surroundings as I attempted that technique with a flat white rattle can.


This shot, to the left, shows three layers of hills with white spray paint between the more distant layers and behind the tree line. In this part of the painted background I kept the horizon low and the colors muted with the only real detail in the subtle conifer brushwork at the top of the ridges. These are three of the colors that I premixed with the intent to use them throughout the initial layout and any later extensions that I might add in the future. I used the sky blue and white latex paint as well as adding some craft paints colors (slate grey and medium foliage green) and raw umber Liquitex acrylic.

The shot to the right shows both the beginning of a signature scene, Mt. Baker, and the array of brushes that I used. In one of the coved corners I wanted to include Mt. Baker because it is definitely a recognizable feature in Whatcom County, at least on a rare blue sky day. Of all those brushes, the two that I used the most were a #8 bristle round and a #2 bristle flat. I used a larger bristle flat to create the treed texture at the top of some of the ridges and a softer flat and a fan brush for some closer tree work. But really, I could have gotten by with just the two.

In this shot, to the left, my attempts to layer details while keeping a low horizon line are shown. At this point, I have completed painting the background landscape for the backdrop of the initial "U" shaped layout. As I add foreground scenery and complete the final step, disguising the right angle between the backdrop and the benchwork, I may have to go back and make some adjustments or additions to the painted backdrop.





No comments:

Post a Comment