Sunday, February 5, 2017

West End "Fold Up" Staging -- Part 1


I designed the staging for the west end based on David Popp's "Swing Out Section" for the Winston-Salem Southbound on the Model Railroader Video Plus subscription web site.  Since the staging at the end of the layout is opposite the top of the attic stairs, it needed to be removable when not in use. The significant differences in my iteration were that I used a 1 X 6 instead of a 1 X 4 and that mine is a bit longer. That will allow for three track staging, holding a similar amount of rolling stock as the completed East Staging.

I followed David Popp's plan for t-girder construction and single fold up leg for the lightweight, hinged staging. Since I don't have an air gun, I used a combination of Robertson trim screws with a #1 square drive bit in my drill motor and truly old-school finishing nails and hammer for initially holding the glue joints during construction.

 As seen to the right, the staging framework folds up under the layout. By adding a 1 X 2 across the nearest legs I am able to hang the staging section attached with hook and eye hardware. While not visible in the snapshot, I can also hang the C clamp that secures the staging at the hinged attachment point on this 1 X 2.

With the final benchwork for the initial layout complete with this foldout section, I can focus on the completion of track work and wiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment