Sunday, July 10, 2016

Finalizing the Track Plan

Now that the benchwork and backdrop for the layout are in place, I am able to revisit the Willow Springs side of the "U" and shift to a focus on starting the trackwork. It turns out that I did make some changes from my initial plan based on mocking up the plan full size on the benchwork.

Mocking up the track plan at Willow Springs
Along with shifting the location of a couple of turnouts, the major change was to add a second  spur off of the passing siding. While I had already obtained the turnout needed to add a team track spur, I found that I will need some additional cork and flex track. Those are now ordered and I have penciled in all the track center lines and turnout locations for the revised track plan. With the track plan finalized, I installed the cork for the spur and curve leading from Willow Junction to the trestle at the base of the "U" completing the cork roadbed on that side of the layout.

New tool added to my roadbed installation toolkit
While I followed the procedure for laying cork mentioned in an earlier blog post, I found that a small machinist's square is an essential tool for making perpendicular cuts in the cork. Also, now that they are available,  I find using  commercial turnout pads definitely save time, but they do add to the expense. With the trackwork plan finalized for the entire layout, I can continue to make my way with the cork roadbed and set up my workbench for modifying the turnouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment