Monday, October 9, 2017

Landforms Around the Trestle--Part 2

Trestle scene ready for ground cover

The initial landforms around the trestle are now complete other than adding detailed texturing with gravel, soil, ground foam, shrubbery, trees, and water. In this post, I will continue to describe the steps I went through to get to get here from where I left off in a previous post.

Fascia clamped in place
While the land forms were roughed in with cardboard webbing and plaster cloth, they needed another layer before I applied paint or ground cover. Since the basic shapes we're present, I went ahead and cut the fascia panel for the bottom of the "U" seen in the photo. While I was cutting that fascia panel, I also cut the ones to finish off the Willow Springs side of the layout. After clamping the panel in place, I noticed that, in addition to gaps appearing between the scenery and the fascia, the cardboard webbing telegraphs through to the surface much more than I liked.

Materials 
My plan was to make a batch of rock castings, apply a layer of Sculptamold, and then apply the rock castings. I started by spraying the rock mold with wet water and mixing up some Hydrocal plaster. I mixed the plaster in a disposable plastic sour cream cup to avoid rinsing plaster down the drain. Following the AAP protocol (Always Add Plaster) I mixed plaster to the water in the cup until it was the consistency of a milkshake. After I filled the molds, I had a lot of plaster left.

This is where I went off plan. I decided to pour the remainder of the plaster into the river bottom and spread it out. While I was not yet really happy with the way it was smoothing out, the plaster started setting up. I rushed out to our driveway and collected some gravel and small rocks. I pressed some of the rocks and gravel into the plaster, pressed the hardening plaster into the banks with a putty knife, and smoothed out a path for the stream itself.

Back to the original plan. I mixed up some Sculptamold using recent dollar store purchases: a plastic bowl and rubber spatula. Then using a combination of the spatula, a putty knife, and my fingers I applied a layer of the Sculptamold to the hillside. My goal with this application was to hide the webbing contours and the mini-holes from the plaster gauze.

Staining the rock castings
After cleaning up the Sculptamold tools, it was time to release the rocks from the mold. I had read in a Dave Frary scenery book that  he liked to stain the castings while they were still "green" or not completely set up. I mixed a new jar of stain with about half and half 70% alcohol and water with a few drops of India ink. Then I used an orange-brown craft paint and a black acrylic to apply additional washes, wet-on-wet, to the castings. As the rocks dried, I experimented with different placements in the cut approaching the trestle and along the creek banks.


Castings on the cut and real rocks in
the stream bed
To attach the castings, I mixed up a small batch of Sculptamold to use as a cement and as a filler around the rocks. I was trying to have the rock castings appear to surface from the hillside rather than look like they were glued to the surface of the hill. When I get to the future step of applying ground textures, I will also attempt to emphasize that appearance. After this photo was taken, I mixed up more Sculptamold and applied more castings to the stream banks. I also built up some more bank at the backdrop to emphasize the appearance of the the creek curving behind the hill rather than meeting the backdrop directly.

After giving everything a day to dry, I came back and painted the hillsides with my brown base color of latex flat paint. For the stream, I used a latex black and blended the two colors for the stream bank. While I had the paint out, I painted all exposed plywood on the rest of the layout with the base brown color. Also, I attached the fascia panel and painted it with the dark Pullman green color I am using on the layout. With the completion of this layer of landform, the scenery is at a point that the track-work and operations plan can be tested before moving on to add additional textures.


No comments:

Post a Comment