Sunday, October 10, 2021

Starting Over Part Three: Rationale For a Small, Initial Layout

 

Unpacking and setting up the workbench has begun

Having started unpacking my model railroad materials and setting up my modeling work area in the basement, I am itching to build something before Version 2 of the 4th Subdivision is designed. In chatting with more experienced model railroaders and reading some of the design experts, one of the recommended first steps in planning a model railroad is to evaluate one's interests and visions by answering a number of questions. By initially building a small shelf railroad I will gain some more practice and experience which may help me answer some of those questions, build some additional skills, and get myself back into active modeling while I plan and prep for the larger model railroad. 

Likely spot in the basement for a "shelf" layout
Lance Mindheim suggests that "modelers in 'waiting mode' build a small, simple practice layout on a wood plank" in his article, "All You Need to Know, in Four Square Feet" in the August 2020 Model Railroader. He explores a similar approach to "mobilize folks to get something up on the wall" in his December 18, 2012 blog post. In the MR article he stresses skill building, calling the practice plank the "board of education." Having moved before my last railroad was completed, scenery and structure building are two skill areas that I need to experience more fully. Also, I may explore a different approach to operations by possibly incorporating an Inglenook Sidings puzzle. 



No comments:

Post a Comment