Saturday, November 27, 2021

Ingleton: Track and Wiring

While working on the Ingleton "practice plank" over the last few weeks, I tried to work towards bulletproof track and electrical continuity. I set as one of my goals for this small switching layout to run flawlessly whether as a switch job or a puzzle. 

As a first step, I prepped the two Peco Electrofrog switches by following what I now think of as a seven- step process first explored in an earlier post.  I find the Peco turnouts operate reliably and their powered frogs, whether using frog juicers or the toggle switches built into turnout motors, eliminate hiccups with locomotives running through the turnouts.  

In the photo, one of the turnouts, placed on the workbench, is ready for prep work. I ordered thinner (.032) solder before starting to see if I can improve my soldering technique. 


Steps in prepping Peco Electrofrog turnouts:

  1. Snip jumper wires
  2. Solder jumpers from point to stock rails
  3. Solder feeder wire extension to frog
  4. Check continuity of earlier steps
  5. Trim tie spikes for rail joiners
  6. Drill out the four dimples for track nails
  7. Don't forget to use insulated joiners to isolate the frogs!

For the next step, cutting and fitting the track, I started with the two turnouts. After pinning them in place, I cut a small piece of flex track to size and trimmed off extra rails to fit rail joiners in place. Then I also started fitting the other pieces of track in place. I am finding that soldering the feeders under the rails before final installation of the track becomes easier the more I do it. I described the process in an earlier post in the section "Sequence is Important for Under the Track Feeder Usage." As I am using Atlas code 83 flex track, double checking the relative positioning of the rail and gap in the plastic between the ties is important when the track has a curve. 

Once I had all the track fitted into place, I soldered the rail joiners and the one feeder that I had forgotten. I soldered that one feeder under the track after the track was in place. Because of supply chain issues, I wasn't able to find the clear or gray caulk that I had planned to try as a track adhesive. My alternate plan included spiking the turnouts using the four holes that I had drilled with the pin vice in each turnout. I also used Weldbond adhesive for the ends of the longer pieces of track. We will see how that holds up, but initially I like using Weldbond as a track adhesive. After drying overnight, the shelf was ready to turn over onto sawhorses for wiring. 

I found working with the plank upside down on sawhorses so much easier than working under the benchwork -- a real incentive to build a layout in sections that can be worked on up on sawhorses or the work table. Having seen no long term issues with 3M suitcase or "insulation displacement connectors" in my previous layout, I continued with them. I did try a new technique (to me) of twisting the red and black 14 gauge bus wires together. I have read that NCE recommends doing this, and I thought I would try it here. Again, with working with small sections of benchwork at a time, it is not difficult to do. I marked where the shelf brackets will be with a sharpie, and connected the feeders and Tam Valley Frog Juicer with room around the bracket locations. 

After setting the shelf back in place and connecting the DCC system, I successfully ran the 0-6-0 locomotive through all the turnouts both forwards and in reverse. The track and wiring are complete, and it is time for me to start on scenery, structures, and rolling stock. 


Learning Points

  • Slight curves and track not tangent to the benchwork adds to illusion of apparent length and realism

  • Working in small benchwork sections makes some tasks much easier

  • Starting with the most complicated trackwork, soldering the feeders under the rails, and fitting the track before soldering the joiners and attaching the track to the roadbed becomes easier with practice. 

  • Addition of new new tools and techniques (.032 solder, bronze tip cleaner stand, higher quality wire strippers, twisting the bus wires) should improve the quality of my wiring


1 comment:

  1. Dave looks good. I've found I love smaller diameter solder I've been getting from Fast Tracks.
    On my old layout I re-built the entrance to Oil City yard. I did it as a 1'x 4' module so I could turn it over to do all the wiring. There were 6 switches on it. I also had to include all the wiring for block detection. Yes much easier to work on.

    ReplyDelete