Friday, July 1, 2016

Prepping the Backdrops

Now that the benchwork is complete and the backdrops are up, the next step before painting them is to tape and mud the seams using wallboard supplies. I purchased the smallest tub of joint compound and shortest roll of tape I could find along with an inexpensive set of plastic taping knives at the big box store.
One of the three seams to be sealed

The backboards on the layout are tempered hardboard (Masonite) ripped at 16" with 12" visible above the back of the layout. I mounted them to the back of the frame with screws and washers. At the seams I glued a piece of scrap "one by" wood to tie the two pieces together. I will prime the back of this last section when I finish the seams and have the primer out to paint the joints.





After sanding the edges on the front of the seam, I installed
fiberglass tape and the first coat of mud. The photo to the right was taken after I applied the first coat of mud. While the actual work time has not been much to speak of, this process takes one day for each layer to allow the joint compound to dry over night. I sanded, vacuumed up the dust, and wiped down the joint with a damp cloth between each coat.


The photo to the left is after the third (and hopefully final) coat was applied. For each coat I used a wider knife. After it dries, I should be able to sand and then prime the area around the joint before proceeding to actually painting the backdrops on the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment