Sunday, November 22, 2015

Electrical Standards

In planning and starting initial construction of the attic U-shaped switching layout, I am realizing that all aspects of the layout design must be considered from the beginning. I have built one side and one corner of the open grid benchwork sections in order to mock up and finalize the small yard and interchange track plan. By taking the next step of tying them together with seamless backdrops or attaching the corner to the wall I will lose the ability to flip them on their sides to work on the underside. So, to not get too far ahead of myself, I need to plan the wiring or at least establish electrical standards or norms for the layout while I can still comfortably work on wiring.

As a starting point, I will be using the NCE Power Pro system I had in Seattle for running my modules at home. I will be using Peco Electrofrog turnouts for this section of the railroad. While I will drill holes for switch machines, I am planning on operating the yard turnouts by hand so I ordered a DCC Hex Frog Juicer from Tam Valley Depot to power the frogs. Another starting point is the one "module" that made the move across the country with us was a 4' staging module that will be the East Staging for the layout.

As it will switch in orientation from "left" end to "right end and potentially needs all three busses, this staging module is a logical place to implement the electrical standards for the new layout. 

The staging yard currently has no track feeders, Atlas turnouts with Tortoise switch motors powered by 12 volts DC, and a rudimentary control panel on the "wrong" side. It needs a DCC bus and feeders to each of the tracks; a DC bus, power to the switch motors, and control panel; and a Cab bus fascia panel. It is a logical place to implement new wiring standards and work to improve my skills.

In researching, reading, and evaluating my current resources this weekend I have come up with standards for the DCC bus:

  • Bus: Red and Black, #14 wire
  • Track "polarity": Black out
  • Feeder: Red and Black #22 
  • IDC #905 (Micromark #84022) Red "Suitcase" connectors
  • Terminal strips, soldered spade lugs, and molex plugs to provide continuity across the bus
I have not yet finalized my plans for power districts/circuit breakers for the system as a whole,  the details of the DC bus, or the schematic for the staging control panel (turnout control plus power off/on and indicator for each track). That will have to wait for a later post.


No comments:

Post a Comment