Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Rationale for the Railroad Part 1

Iain Rice, one of my favorite layout designers, suggests that planning begin with a Layout Rationale that contains the "context and character" of the layout. My layout will be based on the Great Northern and the Puget Sound and Baker River, but it will be freelanced. While working with a rather freewheeling modular group in Seattle (aren't they all), I started researching the Third Subdivision of the Cascade Division and logging railroads of Skagit County in the 1920's to scratch my historical accuracy itch.
 Living in the 21st century with the amazing wealth of information from the internet, one can still learn from swap meet finds and published books. A road trip to the actual location adds another layer to the research.

Despite having a good start on the kind of research needed for prototype modeling, I am choosing not to follow that track. I have three goals that I think I can achieve (more easily?) by following a "freelanced based on prototype" approach:
  1. Create a small layout that is fun to operate with just one or two people in a reasonable amount of time.
  2. Explore the NMRA Achievement program by working towards "Master Builder Scenery"
  3. Use my HO transition era equipment collected over the years


No comments:

Post a Comment