Saturday, July 9, 2022

New Workbench Location


In my last post I mentioned that I had started work on the new location of my model railroad workshop, and I have completed some first steps including setting up my workbench. The photo above shows the status as of now.

I had initially set up my modeling workshop in an alcove off the main basement, which is now becoming the laundry and general household work area. I chose a space next to the basement stairs as the new location. I believe that this space will not impinge too much into the aisle along the future town of Chikamin, and the "cave" under the stairs and landing provide some space for storage of modeling materials. 

The first steps I took included painting the sprayed on foam insulation on the wall and the dingy basement "trim" with my sky blue latex paint. Our contractor has run a new circuit through the basement for the railroad, but we are waiting for the new service entrance and 200 amp breaker box installation to connect the circuit. One can see the new outlet by the workbench in the initial photo. Until the service call by the power company is finally scheduled I will still be working with extension cords strung across the floor. 

With the pegboard mounted and my Ikea workbench/desk set up I have a place to work finalized. With the shelves under the landing edge cleaned up and painted (top left on initial photo) I have started some shelving for modeling supplies. 

The next steps: 

  • Add some shelving and tote storage under the stairs 
  • Install shelving along the wall under the landing 
  • Figure out where I can best add my small parts bins
  • Consider adding a rolling cart/work-table to the "cave"
  • Extend the blue wall painting to the initial TOMA location
  • Tackle painting the floor


2 comments:

  1. Lighting! At the workbench it should be bright, multi directional and the same color as you use on your model railroad. Dick Bradley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now that the outlet is live I have installed one of the LED lamps that were over the railroad in Meadville. I still need to add lighting to the storage "cave" and as you suggest a second source at the workbench. Perhaps a swing arm lamp to position as needed.

      Delete