Thursday, September 24, 2020

Beefing Up the East Staging

 

Track Plan for new East Staging/Green Rock

While I have been working on the scenery on the Willow Junction segment, it has been going so slowly! Some medical issues have slowed me down in general. The pandemic and my frustration with our country's leadership tend to lead me into a general malaise. So, this past week I had a crazy idea -- what if I beefed up the "East Staging" module. Yes, my stated plan was to finalize some scenery at Willow Junction and then start on the new Nooksack section. But, I just got the notion to improve the existing East Staging and with that notion a burst of enthusiasm. 

Existing East Staging Module
Why does the East Staging module need to be improved; what is the rationale? While ops-sessions are on hold due to COVID-19 mitigation, my after action notes from an initial ops-session last January pointed out some inadequacies to this staging yard. Also, I have been contemplating aligning my operations plans with the minimum required for the NMRA Chief Dispatcher Achievement Program, should I want to go down that rabbit hole. For that I would need three scheduled mainline trains. The tracks in the existing staging yard are not long enough for the trains I am currently running, no way to turn engines or the doodlebug currently exist, and more tracks are needed for the number of trains I hope to run. In short, whether focusing on "fun for one" operations or working towards having a small crew run the 4th Subdivision, the existing staging falls short. 

As the plan I came up with to beef up the staging yard included a turntable big enough to turn the doodlebug rather than using track cassettes, my thoughts moved to scenicing the new version. What had been explicitly a staging yard, in this new concept will be sceniced and used later as Green Rock, a remote stub ended terminal at the eastern end of the 4th Subdivision. For now it should do double duty functioning as a a sceniced fiddle, or active staging, yard in the same location as the existing East Staging module. When I do return to building the Nooksack section, the Green Rock/East Staging will move to the east of Nooksack. As sections are added to the east, Green Rock will continue to move east as well, ultimately taking its final spot as only Green Rock, no longer doing double duty as staging. 

Seeing that their 90' turntable kit was on sale at Walthers, I went ahead, ordered it, and started track planning. My current plan, seen at the top of this post, builds upon the existing staging module. Trying to use some of the materials that I have on hand, I plan to use the couple of code 100 turnouts that I have left over from my modular adventures in Seattle. I also have a PowerShield Auto Reverser circuit board that I bought many years ago and never used that I can use for the DCC track power on the turntable. 

Opportunity for Infrastructure Upgrade
Having moved the East Staging module out and to a workbench gives access to the attic's one electrical outlet. One of the infrastructure issues (beyond those connected with the attic stairs/trapdoor) that has dogged me is the need to string electrical cords willy-nilly throughout the attic. My plan is to extend the circuit with a number of boxes. Not only will that be tidier and potentially safer, but I will add the option of easily plugging in a portable air conditioner or heater making the train attic more comfortable mid-summer or mid-winter. While I may want to fish an additional circuit up from the breaker box in the basement at some point, hardwiring some additional outlets to this circuit while it is open, seems very doable and makes a lot of sense. 

Moving forward, I see a couple of obvious next steps. Designing and building some benchwork extensions to the existing module to allow for my new track plan is an obvious next step. I have already masked up and made a trip to the big box store for some lumber. I drew up a plan for the added benchwork framing and made a cut list. I guess I will soon be spending some time with my friend the miter saw! I also see another trip to the big box store for metal clad armored cable, bushings, boxes, and receptacles. Both of these projects as well as mocking up the track plan at full size and constructing the turntable are all potential future posts, leading to more frequent updates here on the GNbranch.


No comments:

Post a Comment