Friday, February 18, 2022

Associated Grocers: Part 3


Although the surrounding scenery needs work, the grocery warehouse background structure is complete, As mentioned previously, several additions were needed to help highlight the loading dock and its sure spots.  

I printed out several sets of 1, 2, 3, 4 numerals for signs to label the doors as specific sure spots. I tried for a happy medium between large enough for an operator to read them easily and small enough for a somewhat realistic scale size. I found 8 pt. font size to approximate that happy medium. For the font I chose "Futura" as it is from the late 1920s and, as a sans-serif, it is easy to read. My attempts to create a border around the numerals did not work well, so the signs are just black numerals on a white background. My application technique was basic: white glue on the back of the tiny cut-out paper rectangles with the signs brushed into place with a clean damp brush followed by a light application of a gray wash.

I decided that Ingleton shelf would be a reasonable place to try out Woodland Scenics' "Just-Plug" system. I included their "Lights and Hub" starter kit and power source with an online order, but found I would either have to drill a large hole through my building's wall or resort to splicing/soldering. So, I spent more money on their gooseneck wall lights and installed two over the loading dock. While the system is pricey, it is relatively easy to add to it. Plus the hub has the ability to dial in the intensity of individual lights. I will wait to make a final decision on the value of the system until I add more to it. 

The next steps will be to fit the building into the scene with first applications of surrounding scenery and adding more details. I can feel accomplished in that I actually finished the building, but I also realize that I still need more practice. The building corners are not square, several joints are less than perfect, and at least one window has an obvious glue smudge. On the other hand, this is a background building on a practice plank built to increase skills and self awareness, not a contest entry.

1 comment:

  1. For borders around signs I use the 'LINE' tab in Word Perfect to draw a box around the lettering. The box has tails which are cut off. I can select line widths and colors. Color markers hide the edges of the paper. Dick Bradley

    ReplyDelete