Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Staging Plan for Nooksack TOMA

Initial track plans for Nooksack temporary staging

 In my last post while setting a goal of the end of January for the Nooksack sections to be in place, I put several other aspects off to the near future. That was somewhat of an oversimplification. The staging planned for Nooksack, the first TOMA section of the 4th Subdivision, is definitely tied into  the wiring I am finalizing on the underside of Nooksack while up on the sawhorses. This post describes what I have come up with for the initial plan for staging. 

On the west end I will employ an existing fold-down staging module that we moved from Meadville. Seen in the photo to the left, it is admittedly small at 6 1/2" X 47." The three track section utilizes Peco Insulfrog turnouts and is powered by a phono plug. While not an ideal solution, it is by definition "temporary" staging. I have it. It is ready to install. While it will be the first to replace moving forward as it is too small, not really providing an adequate train length, it will allow me to get Nooksack up and running as well as moving forward with structures and scenery in the TOMA "methodology." As the 4th Subdivision plan grows, I may later use it in its fold-down mode at the far eastern end of the line providing a staged link  to a logging railroad.

On the other hand, on the east end of Nooksack I am planning a larger and potentially sceniced staging section. While it will also be temporary, I envision it as being viable for a longer period of time and reusable later as the the railroad grows. My initial plan (seen at the beginning of the post) is based on a narrow hollow-core closet door we removed in our recent bathroom renovations. That door is 11 3/4" X 80" which will allow me to make sure that at least one track meets my "logical lineal" standards. (The increased passing track length at Nooksack allows for a longer train length which in turn needs to be matched with yard tracks and spaces between active switching.) 

Straightening the curve at the east end
I don't have the benchwork plans finalized for the door yet, but I am sure enough of the concept that I can make some tweaks to the Nooksack module end now, before installing it, so Nooksack will be ready. The photo shows my alteration of the track at the east end of the Nooksack modules. 

Now that I have a plan for the staging,  I can complete the new feeder drops at the ends of the Nooksack modules. Then, along with some backdrop and lighting prep and installation, I will be ready for Nooksack to slide into place. 



No comments:

Post a Comment