Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Nooksack: East Staging Part 3

Mainline connection to East Staging module
Today, I ran a train into and out of the east staging using both turnouts and all three tracks. It all worked smoothly. However, at the joint where the new staging module meets the Nooksack modules seen in the photo above, a slight wobble appeared as some rolling stock went through. Nothing derailed, but my goal is to have the best trackwork possible. Now that the new module is bolted in place, I need to remove the slight kink and even the rail height. One option is to solder the rail joiners, and another is to spike the two sections of track into alignment without soldering the joiners.  

Next Steps to Complete East Staging

  • Fix mainline connection discussed above
  • Legs bolted and painted
  • Continue running locomotives/trains to double-check trackwork and electrical
  • Don't forget the NP interchange track!
  • Clean solder and install missing ties (Nooksack too!)
  • Install backdrop
  • Paint rails and ties (Nooksack too!)
  • Light over staging module
  • Fascia and UTP install
  • More basement organization

Transition to "Big Picture" Next Steps

I am not quite sure how I am going to approach this, but I feel the need to clarify my plans for the Nooksack one-town TOMA. With TOMA the goal is to bring this section to completion with scenery and operations not just under way, but finalized before moving on to the next module or section. I am leaning towards revisiting my goals and interests, perhaps creating what Iain Rice called a rationale or others have called a vision statement as well as creating a draft graphic organizer tying all the interrelated parts together: History and Art with model railroad topics of operations, industries, rolling stock, structures, and scenery. All these topics are part of the Big Picture next steps, but I need an organizational framework as a starting point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment